Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Burning

I think that it is sad that people are willing to set themselves on fire to get attention from their government. There should be no need for the loss of lives in any way. 


Mohamed Bouazizi & Thich Quang Duc ("The Burning Monk")


Similarities that their deaths shared:
Both burned themselves to get their government and people's attention. They wanted a more fair life. They didn't have much justice (though each for different reasons). Each of them set themselves on fire and died. 


Some of the differences were: 
Where they originated from
- Mohamed was from Tunisia and Thich was from Vietnam. 
They were from different walks of life
-Thich was a budist and Mohamed was a fruit vendor
How prepared they were
- Thich prepared for weeks and Mohamed made a split second decision


They could have taken another kind of action. 



Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

The Road not Taken
Robert Frost 

No comments:

Post a Comment